Saturday, April 20, 2013

I've decided I'm going to give up on ocTEL. My main reason isn't related to the MOOC itself, but to my other commitments. I'm doing a level 3 OU module at the moment, and I've realise that since starting ocTEL I've been letting that slip . However, at the same time, I've not been impressed with ocTEL - it has taught me a lot about how not to run a MOOC, but not much else. For me, the final straw was the shoddy list of references about theories of learning - if we expect students to use good quality sources we should do so ourselves, and Wikipedia would have been a better source than most of these. I have no idea whether that was laziness or incompetence on the part of the MOOC authors, but whichever, for me it made it clear that this is not something worth sticking with.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Niall - I can understand your disappointment and frustration. I'm not finding this to be the high quality I was expecting. As it's the first MOOC though by oCTEL and that MOOCs are new, I'm allowing for that and still learning a few things - mainly about how and how not to run a MOOC rather than about the teaching material.

regards
Roger